Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Passion to Proclaim

“For the choir director. A Psalm of David the servant of the Lord, who spoke to the Lord the words of this song in the day that the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. And he said,

‘I love Thee, O Lord, my strength.’ The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, And I am saved from my enemies.” Psalm 18:1-3


How do we measure our passion for God? We can’t. Passion speaks of desire. It describes a heartfelt action we feel toward someone or something. God sees our hearts. He knows if we have a passion for Him or not. There is no way to masquerade the sincerity of our passion.

Even after David sinned and caused God great heartache, the Lord called him a man after His own heart. How could this be? God looks beyond outward appearances to the very core of our being. He intimately knows us. In David’s heart, God saw a true passion for Himself. Regardless of his failures, David loved God.

Yet David’s sin was not casually dismissed; his family bore the consequences of his behavior for generations. However, God’s love toward David never changed. The promises God made to him as a young man remained intact. At the end of his life, David wrote: “For He has made an everlasting covenant with me, Ordered in all things, and secured; For all my salvation and all my desire...” 2 Samuel 23:5

A passion for God comes when we refuse the allure of the world and seek the praise of our loving and eternally devoted heavenly Father. He generously bestows grace and mercy to those who come to Him in humility.