Wednesday, August 10, 2011

True Praise

“Delight yourself in the LORD;
and He will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4


A heart of true praise never uses the word, “if.” “If God heals my son, I will thank Him.” “If God takes care of my financial need, I will praise Him.” Rather, the fountain of genuine worship still flows through all the peaks and valleys of “nevertheless.” “If my son is not healed, nevertheless I will praise Him.” “If my bills are not paid, nevertheless I will extol Him.”

Pure praise for our great and awesome God is never diminished by circumstance. Unfettered worship comes from the heart of one who understands that God owes him nothing, but has given him everything. All that accompanies life is a gift from God, given because of His immeasurable love. We could not earn physical life - God gave it. We cannot merit our salvation - God bestows it through His Son, Jesus Christ, as we believe.

True praise focuses on the astounding attributes and character of God. It rejoices in His goodness. Are you delighting yourself in knowing God? Is your relationship with Him exciting and rewarding? Learn the secret of “nevertheless.” Praise God for Who He is and your song of celebration will light your path and gladden all about you.

“...His favor is for a lifetime;
weeping may last for the night,
but a shout of joy comes in the morning.” Psalm 30:5