Sunday, September 2, 2012

When I am Weak, Then...

“And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

The Bible is not only a book of principles to live by but on the surface also can appear to be a book of paradoxes. “The way to greatness is through humility; the way to life is through death; the way to receive is to give.”

Among the most perplexing to our contemporary minds is Paul’s puzzling admission that the way to strength is through weakness. Paul even said he would “boast” about his weakness (verse 9). Such a seeming contradiction is resolved, however, when we grasp this fact: “‘...My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,’ declares the Lord.” (Isaiah 55:8).

Life’s loads - be they physical, emotional, or both - are not meant to crush and disable us but to lift us into the strong arms of the Savior. Usually, though, we must come to the end of our own abilities before we enter into His sufficiency. Paul wrestled with his “thorn” before casting himself upon God’s grace (2 Cor. 12:7-8).
                                   
God cannot give what we are unwilling to receive. As long as we depend upon our resources, God’s grace is untapped. But when our strength ebbs, His power can flow freely into the midst of our storms.

“...when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10