Friday, March 1, 2013

Our Misunderstandings

“Wherefore I urge you to reaffirm your love for him. For to this end also I wrote, so that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things. But one whom you forgive anything, I forgive also; for indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, I did it for your sakes in the presence of Christ, so that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes.”  2 Corinthians 2:8-11

One of the key aspects of any military venture which absorbs the interest of the leadership is to know the enemy. The better the enemy is known, the higher the chance of a successful battle against him.

In our struggle and battle against Satan’s attempts to destroy our effectiveness for Christ, it is also imperative that we know our enemy. Learn his most common tactics; after all, he’s been operating for a long time, and there is a description of his operating procedure in any history book - certainly most biographies.

Look earnestly into your life, and you may recognize one or more of these misunderstandings deterring you from victory.

See if you can identify the fallacy in each of these statements:
1. Temptation itself is sin.           
2. We fall into temptation.
3. God is disappointed and displeased when we are tempted.
4. To be strongly tempted means we are a guilty as if we had actually committed sin.
5. Temptations follow no pattern; they just happen.
6. We overcome all temptation by separation from it.
7. If I am mature, I will no longer be harassed by temptation.

We are at a marked disadvantage when doing battle with one who has successfully tempted others.