Friday, July 19, 2013

He is Able

“For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.”  2 Timothy 1:12

The apostle Paul uses a precision of synonyms. We are to “know” the One in whom we have believed and to be “persuaded” that He is able to “guard” us. The knowledge Paul cited (Greek = i’do) emphasized mental understanding as opposed to experiential knowledge or intuitive perception. I’do coupled with the word of persuasion
(Greek = peitho) strengthens the assurance Paul is promising. Our confidence is not based on mere emotion but on a clear grasp of God’s secure salvation.

Perhaps a quick survey of other passages will encourage your heart as you read this.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life”

(John 5:24).

“For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus”
(Philippians 1:6).

“...God...has caused us to be born again to...an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time”

(1 Peter 1:3-5).

“Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen” (Jude 1:24-25).

What marvelous promises! Our surety is based on Who God is, rather than on our own individual steadfastness.