Monday, September 23, 2013

Confession

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  1 John 1:9

The Bible book in which this glorious promise is given was written entirely to the saint of God, not to unbelieving sinner.

Confession is what saints do when they sin.
Repentance is what sinners do before they become saints.
Confession is agreement (identity) with the sin against God.
Repentance is reversal (changed mind) to trust (from me to God).

Psalm 51 is a classic prayer of confession. King David poured out his heart of sorrow for the terrible affair with Bathsheba, and yearned for God to “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin” (Psalm 51:2). David acknowledged that “Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in Your sight” (Psalm 51:4). He confessed his sin, and asked God, “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation” (Psalm 51:12).

Three of the Gospels record the declaration of Jesus that “I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners” (Mark 2:17). Repentance is not an apology for specific sins, it is a heart-mind-soul turning from self-righteous sufficiency to God’s holiness. It is the lost that repent, not the saved: “there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance” (Luke 15:7).
   
One day, however, “every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Phil. 2:11). Far better to repent in sorrow today than confess in terror at the Judgment.