Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Christ in Suffering and Triumph

“‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.’”  Revelation 1:8

In the final book of the Bible occur seven great “I am” assertions by the glorified Christ, all speaking of His ultimate victory. However, in the Book of Psalms occur seven vastly different “I am” statements by Christ, all speaking prophetically of His sufferings. These are in four of the wonderfully fulfilled Messianic psalms, all written 1,000 years before Christ, yet each psalm cited in the New Testament is fulfilled by Christ.

“But I am a worm and not a man”
(Psalm 22:6) -  comparing Christ to a mother “scarlet worm” who dies that her young may live, and in so doing, gives off a scarlet fluid which protect and nourishes her young.
“I am afflicted and needy” (Psalm 40:17).
“I have become estranged from my brothers” (Psalm 69:8).
“I am so sick” (Psalm 69:20).
“I am afflicted and in pain” (Psalm 69:29).
“I have become like a lonely bird on a housetop” (Psalm 102:7).
“I wither away like grass” (Psalm 102:11).

In contrast to these lonely sufferings of Christ, there are the glories that shall follow. Four of the others proclaim the same great truth (Rev. 1:11, 17; 21:6; 22:13).

The self-existing One, the “I am,” Jehovah, the Lord Jesus Christ, Who created all things (Alpha) will one day triumph and make all things new, forever (Omega). Read the other two wonderful testimonies: “I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore” (Rev. 1:18). “I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star” (Rev. 22:16).