Thursday, March 12, 2009

Are You Listening?

“The Lord God has given Me the tongue of disciples, that I may know how to sustain the weary one with a word. He awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens My ear to listen as a disciple.” Isaiah 50:4

Often in the business world, one of the weakest areas of contact between departments or between the company and the clients is the area of communication. We talk a lot. We convey many ideas, but does all our talk qualify as meaningful communication?

Obviously there are points at which communication breaks down. Orders are filled improperly. Directives are misunderstood. Often we realize that what was said was not clearly understood.

How receptive am I to God’s communication with me? Is my spirit so sensitive to Him that I immediately understand and align my thinking and my action with His will? Do I hesitate and resist when His way runs counter to my way?

Usually God communicates with us through any or all of these methods:
His Word - Readily available to most people is a copy of the Bible. Do you recognize yours as God’s Word to you?

His Spirit - Each Christian is indwelt by God’s Spirit. “...we have the mind of Christ.” 1 Corinthians 2:16

Circumstances - Through these, God often gets our attention or gives direction.

Others - Listen. You will gain godly advice from others’ perspective.

The question, then, is not if God is speaking, but are you listening?