Sunday, May 24, 2009

Peace

“Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” John 14:27

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33


Europe trembled. Hitler’s menacing armies were poised for a strike against Poland. Attempting to appease the dreaded dictator, England’s Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain traveled to Germany and, on September 29, 1938, signed the infamous Munich pact. Upon his return Chamberlain triumphantly announced: “I believe it is peace for our time.” A short time later Germany invaded Poland, and World War II began.

Was Jesus’ talk of peace like Chamberlain’s optimistic boast? After all, why talk of such when war, violence, greed, and ill will still abound? While Jesus talked much about peace and promised the disciples (and us) that He would leave us His peace, He did not ignore the reality of the world’s conflict.

That’s why His Passover message concerning peace was immediately followed by this clarification: “...In the world you have tribulation...” John 16:33. Jesus was a realist. There is nothing of evasiveness or idealism in His ministry. How then could He promise peace?

“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace...” John 16:33. Christ Himself is our peace. His presence, strength, and comfort are our in every gale; for He is always with us.