Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Rocks

“You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them; and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim. 3:14-17

“Have you studied Voltaire, Thomas Paine, Ingersol, or any of those fellows?” asked a friend of a Christian steamship captain. “No,” he replied. “Well, you should. You can’t fairly turn down their argument until you have thoroughly investigated for yourself,” argued the friend.

“I’ve been the captain of this ship a long time,” returned the captain. “The chart that was given to me pointed out the deep water that would carry me safely into port. As a young captain, I never considered it advisable to investigate the rocks; the experience I’ve known others to have with them has been sufficient warning for me.

So the Bible I learned at my mother’s knee, in Sunday school, and from my pastor, is my chart for the sea life. It brings me a knowledge of the fathomless sea of God’s love and mercy, which if I cast myself upon, will carry me safely to the heavenly port.”