Friday, January 29, 2010

Hold Fast

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say to the LORD, ‘My refuge and my fortress,
My God, in whom I trust!’
For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper
And from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with His pinions,
And under His wings you may seek refuge;
His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.” Psalm 91:1-4

“Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name.
He will call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
With a long life I will satisfy him
And let him see My salvation.” Psalm 91:14-16


The Apostle Paul often admonished his readers to “hold fast” to their faith and system of beliefs. Are you “holding fast”? Are you anchored to Christ. If you wonder if Christ Jesus is able to carry out His promise never to leave or forsake you or to be your Helper, consider His unchanging qualities:

- His unchanging person. The writer of Hebrews stated this precisely when he wrote, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever” (Heb. 13:8). When asked to define “forever,” a little girl thoughtfully answered, “That means every day after tomorrow.” And so it does.

- His unchanging purpose. The Lord Jesus Christ came to meet mankind’s deepest needs, the ones men cannot satisfy. He came “to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many” (Matt. 20:28). Our salvation is His underlying purpose.

- His unchanging Word. Isaiah said, “The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of God stands forever” (40:8).

- His unchanging work. Through the ministry of His Holy Spirit, God is still at work in the lives of His children, bringing comfort and guidance. He is always busy convicting men of sin.

- His unchanging love. The foremost indicator of godliness? Love.

Thought for the Day:
“To each child, God gives all of Himself as fully as if there were no others.” -A.W. Tozer