Thursday, July 8, 2010

Our Way or God’s Way?

“Make me know Your ways, O LORD;
Teach me Your paths.
Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For You are the God of my salvation;
For You I wait all the day.
Remember, O LORD, Your compassion and Your lovingkindnesses,
For they have been from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
According to Your lovingkindness remember me,
For Your goodness' sake, O LORD.” Psalm 25:4-7


A father carefully explained the basics of safe driving to his newly licensed son. The message was ignored. “Dad, I already know how to drive. There’s nothing you can really tell me.” But a subsequent trip to the grocery store ended with a thud in the parking lot - the result of rear-ending a slow moving vehicle.

We sometimes operate in the same stubborn manner. We make our plans, do it our way, and tag God onto the end. But since God’s ways are higher - different and better - than ours, we do well to follow His plan of action.

How can you know God’s ways when the path is unclear, the next step tentative at best? The best means to know God’s way is to know His Word. God’s Word expresses His will and character; and the better you know it, the more familiar you are with His ways. Just as important is to be filled with the Holy Spirit, our Guide for rough ground and Teacher for perplexing circumstances. God is not reluctant to help us in time of need; we simply need to confess our helplessness and sincerely lean our weight on the Holy Spirit’s ability.

Tell God you want to know His way in your situation. Then expect Him to show you. You won’t be disappointed.