Monday, July 5, 2010

When God Speaks

Then Job answered the LORD and said,
“I know that You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.
‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
'Hear, now, and I will speak;
I will ask You, and You instruct me.'
I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;
Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes.” Job 42:1-6


We can read the end of the Book of Job and see how the story ends for this blessed saint. But Job never knew how it would end. He never understood the test he faced or the reasons behind it. He was perplexed. God left him scratching his head. Job said, “He has walled up my way so that cannot pass, and He has put darkness on my paths” (Job 19:8).

Job cried out to God with a long list of objections and questions. Yet God never gave Job an answer. As a matter of fact, He didn’t answer a single question. He just gave Job a revelation of Himself. That’s why I like that song that says, “When answers aren’t enough, there’s Jesus.” Job didn’t find a reason. What Job found was a relationship. Job didn’t get information. What he discovered was a sovereign God. When Job shut up, God showed up.

And what did God say? God told Job that He was talking about things Job didn’t even understand. God prodded Job with questions no man can answer. God reminded Job that He had never asked Job for advice. And look at how Job responds in Job 42:1-6. Essentially, he says, “God, I see You now. Before, I heard about You. But now, God, I know You in a way that I’ve never known You before. I know You, God, with the deepest faith that a person can have. I don’t love You because. I just love You. I don’t have understanding, I have You.”

Friend, can you say, in times of adversity and perplexity, that there’s a sovereign God who can do as He will? When you don’t have answers, do you still trust Him?