Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Ministry of Doing!

“What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone may well say, "You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."
James 2:14-18


We often get bogged down in the mechanics of “doing” for God, and we quickly lose sight of the why. One man who had a unique and spiritually rich experience of humbly following (doing) God’s will was J. Hudson Taylor who said:

“It does not matter where He places me or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me. For the easiest positions, He must give grace; and in the most difficult, His grace is sufficient. So, if God places me in great perplexity, must He not give me much guidance? In positions of great difficulty, much grace? In circumstances of great pressure and trial, much strength? As to work, mine was never so plentiful, so responsible, or so difficult; but the weight and strain are all gone. His resources are mine, for He is mine!

Maybe from men and women like J. Hudson Taylor, we can gain the courage and see the pattern of striking out in obedience and following on in complete trust and dependence upon the resources of an Almighty and unlimited God. Don’t let the mechanics of “doing” stop you from experiencing one of the greatest joys a child of God can know - doing the Father’s will.

God does not ask about our ability or our inability but about our availability.