Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Good Self-Image

“For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me. Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.”1 Corinthians 15:9-11

“But by the grace of God I am what I am” (vs. 10). The foundation of having a handle on your emotions is possessing a good self-image. Here is where many Christians stumble for fear of losing their sense of humility No, we’re not talking about an egotistical type of inflated pride. A good self-image is seeing yourself for who you really are - created in the image of God.

Self-image means how we visualize ourselves - our mental picture of who we are. If my visualization of myself is negative, defeated, and one of failure, I’ll never become what God wants me to be.

At least ten basic emotions we deal with are:
Anxiety
Loneliness
Fear
Guilt
Anger
Jealousy
Depression
Rejection
Love
Contentment

These ten emotional responses govern much of our lives, so it is important that you learn how to handle your emotions. Begin by seeing yourself as a person of great value in God’s eyes. He thought so much of you that He sent His Son to die just for you.

We need to have a good self-image - which is the foundation to a right attitude about God Himself.