Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Our Eternal Home

“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.” John 14:1-3

“Let not your heart be troubled...I got to prepare a place for you...that where I am, there you may be also.” Those words of Jesus have been recited at countless gravesides, speaking comfort and a quiet hope of an eternal future to those locked in the grieving boundaries of time and space. But Jesus meant more by His statement; His gentle assurance was meant to transform our struggle into an understandable, exciting journey with an identifiable destination.

These are words of comfort for the living, those who know life through the experience of being “born again.” There would always be room for speculation if Jesus had not gone on to lay the groundwork, presenting Himself as “the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me” (John 14:6). The magnitude of that one statement cancels out and shows the emptiness of statements by “educated men” who wish to believe that “heaven is such that all who have lived well, of whatever religion, have a place there.”

“This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” John 17:3

There are two places where men will spend eternity: one is heaven; the other is the lake of fire.