Tuesday, December 13, 2011

One Step at a Time

“Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:12-14

Someone said you can’t drive a car very well by constantly looking in the rear view mirror. That is good counsel for the person bogged down in the murky waters of failure. We must look up to God and out to others. And in the process, we will find ourselves gradually leaving the failure behind us. But how do you do that? How do you look ahead when failure and trouble seem to be the constant focus of your attention?

Lawrence O. Richards writes in his book, The Believer’s Guidebook: “When my oldest was crawling...I remember my wife propping him up as I crouched a few feet away. ‘Come to Daddy!’ Paul, on tiptoes, would stagger a step toward me and fall. I would pick him up, hug him and say, ‘Good boy! That’s right! Try again. Walk to Daddy.’ God, the truly good Father, isn’t upset when you and I fall. We struggle to toddle to Him. Taking one step at a time, supported by His love, we eventually will leave failure behind and find our way to truly productive lives (Titus 3:14).”

Don’t try to take giant leaps out of the pit of failure but let God lead you and lift you one step at a time. God is patient and kind and graciously extends the hand of His unfailing love.

“...but one thing I do...” Philippians 3:13