Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Be Faithful

“For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey.” Matthew 25:14-15   

“Now after a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’

And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’

But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest. Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.’” Matthew 25:19-28


The courage and sacrifices of World War II fighting men on beaches like Omaha and Utah in Normandy, France, and on islands like Iwo Jima in the Pacific and in woods like Bastogne in Belgium brought the Allies victory. No less essential, however, were the contributions of men and women, like “Rosie the Riveter,” who labored and sacrificed on the home front. Without their commitment to the production of war goods and self-denial in the form of food and gas rations, American men would not have had the tools to win.

Although pastors, evangelists, and church leaders are vital to the progress of the Gospel, individuals who work in seeming obscurity are equally important. A missionary in Japan cannot preach the Good News unless churches and believers underwrite his ministry financially.

God’s criteria for success do not revolve around acclaim, visibility, or prestige. There are no levels of blessing. All He asks is that we be consistently faithful and obedient to the tasks He has given us. You may be a spiritual “Rosie the Riveter,” working diligently behind the scenes while others receive the applause. If so, don’t be resentful; but remember that your reward is just as great and perhaps even more.

“...You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things...” Matthew 25:23