Monday, October 15, 2012

Understanding Contentment

“Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:11-13

A contented Christian is one who has discovered...

1.    ...that God has already provided all we need for a fulfilled life. God is the “giver” of all good things. Wanting more is the incurable dimension of pursuing happiness. How much money? How many things? What is enough?

Contentment in the Christian perspective realizes that God has, is, and will always supply all of my essential needs. I have Christ, the Source of all, and that is enough.

2.    ...that meaning and purpose is internal, not external. Happiness works when we feel good. We feel good when things are going right. But what happens when the money isn’t in the checkbook, when the vacation ends, when the job turns sour? Happiness vanishes.

Contentment is regulated by the indwelling, steadfast presence of Christ. It is internal, a peace and harmony that cannot be disturbed by fluctuating circumstances.

3.   ...that life on earth is not as good as it gets. The pursuit of happiness is so intense because those who chase it have little or no vision of eternity.

A contented Christian understands that the best is yet to come. Sorrow will always be mingled with joy on earth, but one day pain and tears will be eliminated.

“And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19