Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Focus on Christ

“Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, ‘Who do people say that the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.’ He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Simon Peter answered, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ And Jesus said to him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.’” Matthew 16:13-18

“Okay, kids, let’s get ready for church.”
“Aw, Dad, do we have to go today?”
“My throat hurts and the kids in my Sunday school class pick on me.”
“Honey, I’m just worn out. Why don’t we rest today?”

Can you identify with this scene? Too often it’s a typical portrait of a Sunday morning household for which the church has lost its appeal. Somewhere along the way their zeal for and devotion to Christ have been lost and replaced by a rather lukewarm desire for worship. How does it happen? It can and does occur when the church becomes steeped in tradition, organization, and ritualism.

We don’t come to church just to hear the pastor, to sing, and to study. We come so that we might join in genuine worship of the Head of the church - Jesus Christ. Deliberately humbling ourselves and acknowledging God’s greatness are the ways to start revitalizing our worship experience. While worship is definitely a lifestyle, Sunday can take on a new meaning and bring renewed joy and energy as we focus on Christ.

“To Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus...” Ephesians 3:21