Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Handing Down Your Faith

“I thank God, whom I serve with a clear conscience the way my forefathers did, as I constantly remember you in my prayers night and day, longing to see you, even as I recall your tears, so that I may be filled with joy. For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well. For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:3-7

There are many good examples of parenting found in the animal kingdom. Such traits as tenderness, protectiveness, warmth, discipline, and provision are important to a healthy upbringing. No matter how much a parent may verbally communicate to an offspring though, it is of absolute necessity that parental performance follow verbal instruction. Why? Don’t miss this: The pattern always prevails over the principle!

You, as parent, can give the same set of guidelines day after day; you can have the greatest reasoning in the world for choosing those guidelines for your family; but unless you live them in a conspicuous manner before your children, they wont be followed. It has been said that values are caught, not taught, and to a great degree that is true. Countless individuals can testify that the mere repetition of words or phrases does not insure their compliance.

What are your children “catching” from you? What are they really being taught? Can you identify just one guiding principle which you are consciously teaching your children? Now dedicate yourself to live that principle. Remember, the pattern always prevails over the principle.

Do you have a faith to leave your children? And is it what you want to hand down to them?