Thursday, February 21, 2013

How Do You Influence Others?

“And said, ‘Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!’”  Matthew 18:3-7

All of us (if we are honest) will admit that we know what it is to be tempted. We have all had to face the ordeal of choosing either to give in to temptation’s appeal or stand firmly against it, fighting to maintain a life of obedience to Christ.

But there is another side to temptation, and that’s when a person sides with an evil and entices others to sin. Jesus had some of His harshest words to say to those who would take this position in life, causing others to stumble spiritually, emotionally, or morally.
       
But before we being to point the finger at those who are in violation of this standard, we should first look at ourselves:

- Am I ever guilty of just going along with the “gang” - even when I know it’s not right - simply because I want to be accepted or I can’t take the pressure of being different or not appreciated?

- Have I verbally or nonverbally encouraged another to go against what I know is right?

- Am I guilty of causing anyone to stumble by my negligence or lack of concern?

“Lord, help me to see that my life is always an example. May I lead others to love and trust You as they see You in me.”

For good - or for evil? You have the opportunity everyday to exert your influence either way.