Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How to Handle Our Weakness

“Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” 
2 Corinthians 12:7-10


Here’s another of those unusual twists to logic which we find in Scripture from time to time. On the surface, it looks like a bald-faced contradiction; but a closer look reveals a powerful truth. Weakness is something many of us shy away from; but how many wake each morning to face the reality of their weakness?

Whatever your weakness, there is a word of encouragement for you. God says His grace (His unearned favor) is sufficient for you. That means that He has your best interest at heart. From our viewpoint, it may not seem as if God understands or ever cares - much less has our best interest at heart. We tend to look at our circumstances and read into them the absolute worst. But as a child of God, we are assured of His best, most tender care.

Hear again Jesus’ words: “Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father... So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows”
(Matt. 10:29, 31). Learn to trust God. He desires to take you at your point of weakness and show Himself strong through you. Then you can say with Paul, “Not I, but Christ!”

Our weaknesses are the fertile soil, either of strength or defeat.