Tuesday, July 1, 2008

An Eternal Principle

“And in this case mortal men receive tithes, but in that case one receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives on.” Hebrews 7:8

Yesterday, I shared with you that only 5% of Americans tithe. I am always amazed at the excuses Christians give for being disobedient to the to the Word of God.

The one I love to hear is that tithing was under the law, and now we’re under grace.
Not true!
Abraham tithed 400 years before the law - Genesis 14.
Jacob tithed before the law - Genesis 28:22.
The writer, here in Hebrews, is writing to Christians in the world - years after the resurrection - about tithing.

The principle of tithing is an eternal principle. If anything, if we say we’re under grace, we ought to give more. To give less than a tithe is a disgrace to grace.

Luke 6:46 says, “...why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?”

My challenge to you is to trust God and try it.

Malachi 3:10 goes on to say “‘...test Me now in this,’ says the Lord of hosts, ‘if I will not open for you the windows of heaven, and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.’”