Monday, January 5, 2009

Arose and Did!

“And Joseph arose from his sleep, and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took her as his wife...” Matthew 1:24

I love this verse. It is so simple and yet profound. Here is Joseph - obviously in shock by the news that Mary is with child, probably a little skeptical that the father of the child is God and intending in his heart to put her away secretly. Then the angel of God speaks to him, and his reaction is - he arose and did as the angel of the Lord commanded.

I like that! No questions, no hesitation and no excuses. He just got up and obeyed. The result, he was used of God and blessed to be the earthly father of Jesus Christ.

Well you say, if an angel talked to me, then I would arise and do what he told me to do too!

Really? We have something better - we have an inspired, inerrant, infallible Word from God and in His Word He speaks to us.

My question is - Why don’t we do what He tells us to do? Where would we be right now as a nation and world, if we would have done what we know to do?

Let’s determine that this year as God speaks to our hearts, we will hear and do what He tells us to do.

To God be the glory.