Monday, January 26, 2009

The New Covenant

“‘Behold, days are coming,’ declares the Lord, ‘when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,’ declares the Lord. ‘But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,’ declares the Lord, ‘I will put My law within them, and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.’” Jeremiah 31:31-33

The New Covenant of which the prophets spoke was a marvelous covenant. It contained the promise of a new depth of intimacy with the living God.

“Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean...Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes...so you will be My people, and I will be your God.” Ezekiel 36:25-28

Isn’t that a beautiful expression of God’s love? This is the covenant in which you are a participant.

The permanent presence of the Holy Spirit in the heart of the believer is a precious gift. This was the work of Jesus Christ, of Whom John said, “...this is the one who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.” John 1:33

So the Holy Spirit lives in you. Is He a person with Whom you are well acquainted?

A growing Christian is one who is cultivating fellowship with the Holy Spirit. It is He Who takes the things of God and makes them yours.

How do you cultivate His fellowship?

“Do not quench the Spirit.” 1 Thessalonians 5:19

The Scriptures refer to the Holy Spirit as a flame of fire. He is the One Who illuminates the mind. He warms the hear.

Be certain today that you are not resisting the Spirit’s movement in your life.