Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Gospel of Grace

“For Paul had decided to sail past Ephesus so that he would not have to spend time in Asia; for he was hurrying to be in Jerusalem, if possible, on the day of Pentecost. From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church. And when they had come to him, he said to them, ‘You yourselves know, from the first day that I set foot in Asia, how I was with you the whole time, serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews; how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and from house to house, solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. And now, behold, bound by the Spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me. But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.’” Acts 20:16-24

The gospel of the grace of God was so revolutionary, so life-changing that Paul’s chief desire and sole mission was to tell it to others. What so drove and motivated him to bear witness to this gospel everywhere he went? It is the good news about Jesus Christ. His death, burial, and resurrection bring new to life to those who believe He died on the cross to pay for their sins. When you accept this gift and make Him Lord of your life, you have everlasting fellowship with God, who loves you more than anyone else can or will.

In her book Grace Under Pressure, Penelope Stokes says: “None of us ‘deserves’ God’s grace...Yet it is our undeserving that places us in a position to receive grace. For grace is dependent not on our character, but on the character of God.”

God’s grace is His unmerited and unconditional favor. Nothing you can say or do or achieve can pay Him back. You didn’t earn His love; He gives it to you freely, no strings attached. It’s hard to understand but life-changing to receive. Is the gospel of God’s grace the message of your life? As a child of God, you are a transformed, living testimony of His eternal love.

“...grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.” John 1:17