Monday, January 3, 2011

I Desire Compassion

“When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it. But it greatly displeased Jonah and he became angry. He prayed to the LORD and said, ‘Please LORD, was not this what I said while I was still in my own country? Therefore in order to forestall this I fled to Tarshish, for I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity. Therefore now, O LORD, please take my life from me, for death is better to me than life.’” Jonah 3:10-4:3

Nineveh - the very name filled hearts with terror. Nineveh was one of the capitals of the ancient Assyrian empire, and Assyrians were fierce and cruel idol-worshipers. Yet when they responded to Jonah’s message with immediate and humble repentance, God had mercy on them and spared their city. Incredibly, Jonah was angry. He complained, “Therefore now, O LORD, please take my life from me, for death is better to me than life” (Jonah 4:3).

Jonah could accept God’s mercy for himself but could not understand His pardon of the Ninevites. Though he knew God’s character and had a relationship with Him, he was not excited about sharing the truth with Israel’s most feared enemy.

Has God’s truth penetrated your thinking and emotions and given you His passionate concern for those who oppose you? For those you dislike? It’s important to gain God’s perspective. He has given you the responsibility of telling His good news to everyone - even your enemies.

Why not begin this year with a new mindset. Ask God right now how many people you know who need Christ, and set your heart this year to share with them the good news of the grace of God.