Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Faith that Conquers

“For You are my lamp, O LORD; and the LORD illumines my darkness. For by You I can run upon a troop; by my God I can leap over a wall. As for God, His way is blameless; the word of the LORD is tested; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him. For who is God, besides the LORD? And who is a rock, besides our God? God is my strong fortress; and He sets the blameless in His way. He makes my feet like hinds’ feet, and sets me on my high places. He trains my hands for battle, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, and Your help makes me great.” 2 Samuel 22:29-36

Do you have what it takes to victoriously face life’s challenges? All of us like to think we have the faith needed for any situation. However, faith is often progressive. God leads us through times of testing and difficulty to teach us more about Himself, especially His faithfulness. In the difficult times, He stretches our faith so when we face life’s sorrows, frustrations, and disappointments we can bear up under the weight of the circumstances without wavering.

David came to a point in his life where God allowed his faith to be tested. Frustration, heartache, and disappointment plagued his existence. Yet in even the darkest of times, David knew he was not alone. God had trained him for the battle. He wrote: “He trains my hands for battle, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze” (2 Sam. 22:35).

God developed David’s childlike trust until it became a conquering faith. The result was a strong and unshakable belief in God. This is the same goal God has for you. He wants you to trust Him at every turn. A person who has a conquering faith will stand on God’s promises and trust Him for deliverance.

Over the next few days, we will look at an experience in the life of David to see some characteristics of a conquering faith. The material used is taken from an article written by Dr. Charles Stanley.