Sunday, February 27, 2011

Living Above the Circumstance

“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith, so that your proud confidence in me may abound in Christ Jesus through my coming to you again.” Philippians 1:21-26

Paul’s letter to the Philippians wasn’t written in elegant or secure surroundings, nor was it penned in the comfort of a cozy study. Instead, it was composed under the most difficult of circumstances. The very thing that led to the letter’s writing, sharing the Gospel, eventually led to it’s author’s death. Yet Paul was confident: God’s redemptive message must be told, and those who follow Christ must be shown the way.

Spiritually, Paul learned to live above his circumstances by focusing on something much grander than his earthly existence. Yet for a moment, we sense his desire to leave the pain and suffering behind. “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose...yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary...” (Phil. 1:21-24).

Are you facing a time of deep discouragement? Each of us does at some point. It’s important to remember that when troubles come, Jesus remains at your side. You have a lot to live for because Christ lives in you. Never be afraid to ask Him for a fresh sense of His hope and peace. He’s faithful and will answer the prayers of His children.