Wednesday, February 9, 2011

His Grace is Sufficient

“Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me--to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”
2 Corinthians 12:7-10


True or false: If you have enough faith, pray regularly, and obey God, He will change or remove the negative circumstances in your life.

Anyone who tells you the answer to this statement is “true” isn’t being honest. The message of Jesus Christ is not a “name it and claim it” gospel that says if you want a certain blessing badly enough God will give it to you on your conditions.

As your loving father, He has your best interest at heart. If something you ask for doesn’t fit His perfect plan for your work and well-being, He may say no. His care goes beyond the pleasure of the moment. He is always at work preparing you for the future, sometimes at the expense of temporary pain.

Paul learned this lesson well. After petitioning God three times to remove a problem, he began to understand why God didn’t take his trouble away. “He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me” (verse 9).

God’s grace touches your life even through the most discouraging negatives. You will see your weak points become God’s “power points” when you trust in His sufficiency.