Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Come Unto Me...

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

The employee had two major projects due in less than a week - both required staying late at the office. Looking at his calendar, he realized he had planned to take his wife out of town for the weekend. It was also their son’s fifteenth birthday on Saturday. This usually was celebrated with a father and son night out. Adding to the stress, his mother telephoned to say her hot water heater wasn’t working properly.

Suddenly, the pressure seemed overwhelming. This is when a coworker appeared at his door, demanding his signature on a project he knew was less than average. Before he realized it, he made it clear how he felt about life and his job.

“I wish I could leave and run away,” he confessed to a friend over lunch. “I don’t understand how things I normally love to do can cause so much pressure.” When stress runs high, it doesn’t take much to drive us over the edge emotionally.

But you can take control of your circumstances by organizing your time and eliminating things from your schedule that demand more than you can give. Ask God for wisdom in planning your agenda. Remember, His burden is light when you allow Him to carry the weight of your circumstances (Matt. 11:29-30).