Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dealing with Adversity

“Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Someone has described the Christian life as either headed into a storm, in a storm, or coming out of a storm. The question for the believer is not if adversity will strike but what to do when it knocks at our door. Jesus said we would enter the kingdom of God through many tribulations (Acts 14:22). Paraphrased in today’s language, Jesus might say we have a rough row to hoe before we enter God’s presence.

Accepting the blunt reality of trial and hardship is the first step to dealing with adversity. The Christian is no more immune to cancer or hurricanes than the non-Christian. The ruin of the fall and the entrance of sin into the universe adversely affect both man and creation (Rom. 8:22).

We must realize that the primary purpose of adversity is to expose our weakness and drive us to fresh trust and dependence on Jesus Christ. Jesus wants us to trust Him with each burden, each problem, each setback.

He knows that as we trust Him, we will advance in our adversity. In our weakness, we can discover His strength. Ill winds of financial misfortune, illness, divorce, or death may be too much for us to handle; but nothing is too complicated or burdensome for God.

“When a man thinks he has got a good deal of strength...you may look for his downfall.” -Dwight Moody