Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dealing with Loneliness

“Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged;
bring me out of my distresses.
Look upon my affliction and my trouble,
and forgive all my sins.” Psalm 25:16-18


A pastor shared the good news of God’s love in a small Russian village. He talked of Jesus as Savior, Lord, and Friend. A young man thoughtfully responded to the message with this simple but profound truth: “Before, I had known Jesus as my Savior and Master. But I had always though of Him as Boss. It never occurred to me that He was my Friend. This will change everything about my faith.”

Christians become mired in the murky waters of loneliness for many reasons - an extended illness, a divorce, and empty next, the death of genuine friends. The starting place to lift loneliness’ enveloping emotional fog is to build intimacy with Jesus as our Friend.

Fellowship with Jesus is sweet friendship with your most loyal Friend. It is coming to Christ with honesty and sincerity. You need not hide your feelings. He understands them and does not condemn you. You can draw as close to Christ as you desire.

Jesus stands ready now to embrace you with the love that died for you and now lives within you. He is no fair-weather Friend. He will stand with you and comfort you in your darkest hour.

“The truth that Christ loves me has done more to transform my quiet time...than any other fact.” -Robert Munger