Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Called to Commitment

Now Moses was pasturing the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian; and he led the flock to the west side of the wilderness and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. The angel of the Lord appeared to him in a blazing fire from the midst of a bush; and he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, yet the bush was not consumed. So Moses said, “I must turn aside now and see this marvelous sight, why the bush is not burned up.” When the Lord saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!” And he said, “Here I am.” Then He said, “Do not come near here; remove your sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.” He said also, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Then Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God. Exodus 3:1-6

“Therefore, come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.” But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?” And He said, “Certainly I will be with you, and this shall be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall worship God at this mountain.”

Then Moses said to God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I Am Who I Am”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I Am has sent me to you.’” God, furthermore, said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations.” Exodus 3:10-15


Before you commit yourself to a cause or activity, you want to know who is in charge, the person who will be leading you or providing direction. Leadership is vital. That was the question in Moses’ mind when he asked the Lord what he should tell the captive Israelites when they asked who was sending him. God answered him clearly and directly: “‘I Am Who I Am...’ Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers...has sent me to you’” (Ex. 3:14-15).

This answer told Moses everything he needed to know about the One calling him to do a humanly impossible task. He could rest in the eternal promises and security of the God who guided his forefathers through every circumstance, good and bad. The Lord wanted Moses to know that saying yes to Him and obeying Him was a winning decision.

As a child of God, you are called to surrender yourself completely to Him. God is not a mysterious and distant Commander; He is real and personal and reveals His character and love in His Word. Are you saying yes to Him in all things? You will learn to trust Him more as your discover the depth of His commitment to you.

Commitment to God means total surrender, leaving the consequences to Him.