Monday, October 10, 2011

You Are Not Alone, Part 2

“Now it came about after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, that the Lord spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ servant, saying, “Moses My servant is dead; now therefore arise, cross this Jordan, you and all this people, to the land which I am giving to them, to the sons of Israel. Every place on which the sole of your foot treads, I have given it to you, just as I spoke to Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon, even as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and as far as the Great Sea toward the setting of the sun will be your territory. No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you.” Joshua 1:1-5

A study of hospital patients revealed a remarkable finding. Patients who had someone in the room with them, a family member or friend, recovered from their illness at a far quicker rate than patients who were alone. The comfort of another person is one of God’s most encouraging tools in our times of loneliness. When we have someone to share with, to talk to, to unload on, our periods of loneliness and the feeling of helplessness that accompanies it can be shortened.

God does not want you to wallow in your loneliness. Through His guidance you can lean on Him to direct you into opportunities where fellowship with other believers is. When you take the initiative to trust God to lead you into contact with others, you are the divine path of recovery.

God has made us to both need and serve others. Ask God to guide you to other people of situations where you can begin to share and have input into the lives of other Christians. As the Head of the church He is able to put you into a special place of healing for your emotional pain and replace your weeping with His incredible joy.

“Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.” Psalm 25:16