Sunday, October 9, 2011

You Are Not Alone

“But you, Israel, My servant,
Jacob whom I have chosen,
Descendant of Abraham My friend,
You whom I have taken from the ends of the earth,
And called from its remotest parts
And said to you, ‘You are My servant,
I have chosen you and not rejected you.
Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’”
Isaiah 41:8-10


There are seasons when we feel totally alone, when an invisible curtain of emotional isolation seems to suffocate us. We hurt. We cry. We grieve. No one seems to care. The people at the office who greet us with their usual cheery “hello,” the grocery store clerks who remind us to “have a good day,” only heighten our sense of alienation.

We can persevere when we truly grasp the unceasing presence and care of God for each detail of our existence. Listen to David’s affirmation of God’s lovingkindness that sustained him in his darkest hours. “O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways....Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” (Psalm 139:1-3, 7).

God is with you, for you, and in you. He never abandons the works of His hands. Instead of being overwhelmed by your feelings of loneliness, turn your attention to God’s steadfast care. Meditate on His total provision for your every need.

“...I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20