Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Who Will Go?

In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.”

And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke. Then I said, “Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.”

Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal in his hand, which he had taken from the altar with tongs. He touched my mouth with it and said, “Behold, this has touched your lips; and your iniquity is taken away and your sin is forgiven.”

Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!” He said, “Go, and tell this people: ‘Keep on listening, but do not perceive; Keep on looking, but do not understand.’” Isaiah 6:1-9


For a moment he studied the crowd moving toward the front of the church. Then with sweaty palms and a nervous feeling in the pit of his stomach, he stepped out into the aisle. As he walked to the front of the church, the words of Have Thine Own Way comforted him.

Standing at the altar, he suddenly felt a small hand slip inside of his. In looking down he saw the face of his seven-year-old daughter. “I will go for Jesus, too, Daddy,” she beamed. As he lifted his eyes, he saw his wife holding their eighteen-month-old son, “Darling, we’ll all go for Him.”

He knew this moment meant total surrender to the will of God. But so much had happened in the past. So many tears. So many words spoken in haste and anger. Could Jesus see past the years spent in sin and denial? Could God really be calling them to carry the light of His gospel halfway around the world? Yes.

God uses people with hearts turned toward Him. Past sins and failures are forgiven. He abides in the immediacy of the moment. When we open our hearts in obedient faith to His will, He uses us. There is a job Jesus has for you to do, and no one else can take your place.

God doesn’t just call out international missionaries - He calls all of us. We all can be in a ministry for Him. Will you go for Him? Will you answer His call?

“...‘Here am I. Send me!’ He said, ‘Go...’” Isaiah 6:8-9