Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Looking at the Ministry

“For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.” 1 Corinthians 9:16-18

Evangelism tends to be looked upon as a church-sponsored activity channeled through the appropriate departments. Certainly the church is responsible to lead and teach individuals to effectively share their faith. But instruction on this level is not usually enduring unless the catalyst is the inner transformation of the believer.

Paul was “under compulsion” to preach the gospel (1 Cor. 9:16). True, he was called as an apostle; but it is also true we are called as disciples of Christ. Our eagerness to share His life with others should be just as intense as that of the apostles. Is there a sense of compelling in your life to make Christ known to others? Do you have an inner drive to proclaim Christ through word and deed, motivated by devotion to Jesus Christ?

This is the biblical pattern for evangelism - people who love Jesus Christ and willingly share that love in relevant ways. It may not always be by quoting Scripture or handing out a tract, but by loving deeds (mowing a yard, babysitting a child, cooking a meal) that demonstrate God’s concern. If fear quenches the fire within, just take one small step to release God’s love to someone. God will show you the way.

“Preach the gospel. Use words when necessary.” -St. Augustine