Monday, April 2, 2012

Partnership in Ministry

“Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, including the overseers and deacons: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now. For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. For it is only right for me to feel this way about you all, because I have you in my heart, since both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel, you all are partakers of grace with me.” Philippians 1:1-7

We have just finished March Madness. Anyone who follows basketball knows all about March Madness. You cannot turn to any sports page or watch any sports station without hearing of the heroics of the boys. Yet basketball, like any other athletic game, is a team sport; and every play and player counts. Each member contributes to the success of the team.

The body of Christ is similar. We are composed of various members, each responsible for the well-being of the whole. When we give of our money, time, or talents, we are building up the body of Christ. No one else can duplicate our efforts, and no one else can take our place.

The apostles could not have traveled far and wide without support of unsung local church members. Neither can any ministry today spread God’s truth apart from participation of the body of Christ. You are important to the advancement of Christ’s gospel. When you pray and give of your resources to those who handle God’s truth with integrity, you share in the marvelous results that occur.

“For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make a contribution for the poor...” Romans 15:26