Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Our Sin...The Ultimate Question

“For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
Against You, You only, I have sinned
and done what is evil in Your sight,
so that You are justified when You speak
and blameless when You judge.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
and in sin my mother conceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the innermost being,
and in the hidden part You will make me know wisdom.
Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me to hear joy and gladness,
let the bones which You have broken rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquities.   

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence
and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
and sustain me with a willing spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
and sinners will be converted to You.”
Psalm 51:3-13


If the gospel is such good news, then why isn’t everyone on tiptoe to hear and embrace it? Precisely because we must first acknowledge the bad news of sin. We must first diagnose the illness before we take the prescription.

We were conceived in sin. We are born with a destructive bent away from God, seeking self-fulfillment, living independently of God. Sin is not a force. It is not generic evil. We have sinned. We are sinners. We are separated from God if we have yet to receive Christ. Sin is not corporate. It is personal.

We are guilty before God, spiritually dead, and defiled thoroughly by sin. We fall short of God’s glory, far short. Not only have we sinned, but our sin breaks God’s holy law, offending God Himself. “Against You, You only, I have sinned and done what is evil in Your sight” (Psalm 51:4).

If you do not know Christ, have you admitted the bad news that you are a sinner, destined for an eternity in hell? If not, you are fighting a losing battle. Once you recognize your plight, you are ready for the divine corrective - the good news of salvation.

“And He...will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment.” John 16:8