Thursday, May 24, 2012

Your Greatest Friend

“No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you. This I command you, that you love one another.” John 15:15-17

Part of the daily routine for terminally ill patients is healthy, appropriate “hug” times. In many cases, lives have been extended because touch conveys caring; and the sensation of being cared for brings hope. The difference is touch and the friendship it conveys.

Jesus came into a world that was torn apart by strife and political unrest. Everywhere He turned He saw the effects of loneliness and confusion. He cried over Jerusalem because He knew the hearts of the people were cold and calculating.

Throughout the gospels, Jesus moved through the crowds, touching the sick, embracing the lonely, and intently listening to those trapped in sin. He touched them; and for those who received Him, He brought healing through His divine gift of friendship.

There is a place deep within each one of us that hungers for this type of relationship. Jesus knew what friendship meant. In the end it called Him to give all that He was that we might enjoy His friendship for eternity.

You can bring your hurts, complaints, and problems to God. He welcomes them. He will never turn you away. The greatest friend you or I will ever have is Jesus Christ.

 “...I have called you friends...” John 15:15