Sunday, January 20, 2013

He is Your Refuge

“And David spoke the words of this song to the Lord in the day that the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said,
‘The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
My shield and the horn of my salvation,
my stronghold and my refuge;
My savior, You save me from violence.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
And I am saved from my enemies.
For the waves of death encompassed me;
The torrents of destruction overwhelmed me;
The cords of Sheol surrounded me;
The snares of death confronted me.
“In my distress I called upon the Lord,
Yes, I cried to my God;
And from His temple He heard my voice,
And my cry for help came into His ears.’”  Samuel 22:1-7


When you live in places where it is snowy and cold, you can’t help but be envious or at least curious when you see commercials of Florida or California in the winter. Sunshine, temperatures between 65-75 degrees, and then the commercial ends with the phrase, “I need it bad.” The result is we have now come to use the name “snowbirds” for those who winter in states that offer warmth and better weather conditions.

Whether we enjoy the beach, the mountains, the woodlands, desert, the farmland, or the city, there’s always that “special place” that brings joy and refreshment. And we are drawn there from time to time to collect ourselves and renew our perspective on life.

God draws us to Himself in order to accomplish that same purpose - in our spirit. When the spirit of a man or woman is rested, refreshed, and directed by an awareness of God’s presence, that person can run on his feet but walk in calmness in his spirit - a quality greatly needed in our hurry-up world.

Trust me - take time each day to meet with God.
“You need it bad!”