Thursday, January 24, 2013

Living Without Love

“If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.” 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

LOVE! A popular 60's tune jingled: “All you need is love - love is all you need.” But how shallow and tragically disappointing many have found “love” to be. Due to the lack of love, many have been drawn to fill this void through any number of dead-end avenues.

The best guide is someone who has already been there, one who knows the source of love can best guide another back to that source. The great revivalist Charles Wesley tasted God’s love and expressed its savor in these descriptive words:

“Love, divine, all loves excelling,
Joy of heav’n, to earth come down,
Fix in us Thy humble dwelling;

All Thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, Thou art all compassion,
Pure, unbounded love Thou art;
Visit us with Thy salvation;
Enter ev’ry trembling heart.

Finish then Thy new creation;
Pure and spotless let us be;
Let us see Thy great salvation
Perfectly restored in Thee.
Changed from glory into glory,
Till in heav’n we take our place,
Till we cast our crowns before Thee,
Lost in wonder, love, and praise.”

“O taste and see that the Lord is good...” (Psalm 34:8).

“...but do not have love, it profits me nothing.”
1 Corinthians 13:3