Friday, May 10, 2013

The Coming of Christ for His Church

“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.”

Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves.” 
John 14:1-11


One of the most painful emotions with which many people have to deal is the feeling of loneliness. We hate to feel alone because it carries with it the sense that we are unloved, unlovely, uncared for, and undesirable - all of which tend to plunge a person into depression. We are all born with the need to be loved; and when the need is not met or when love is withheld or we are bitterly disappointed, great emotional damage often results.

Jesus was keenly aware of this basic emotional need. Not only was He aware of it but He ministered with that need on His mind. Even when He died and when He returned to the presence of the Father, Jesus was making provision for our defense against the terror of loneliness. We have to gift of “the Comforter” in the from of the Holy Spirit.

The Christian has a unique hope - the hope of the returning of the crucified Savior, Jesus Christ. He has kept every promise He has ever made. He has been preparing a place for us in heaven, and at the Father’s command, He is coming back to take us “home.” “Do not let your heart be troubled” (John 14:1) but believe the words of Jesus, accept what He has done for you, and anticipate His return as a bride waits for her bridegroom.


“Jesus, Savior, reigneth forever and ever;
Crown Him! Crown Him!
Prophet and Priest and King”