Monday, May 20, 2013

Where Will You Spend Eternity, Part 2

“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, ‘Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.’

And He who sits on the throne said, ‘Behold, I am making all things new.’ And He said, ‘Write, for these words are faithful and true.’ Then He said to me, ‘It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost. He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.’”  Revelation 21:1-7


Of all the expressions of many who have undertaken to translate their understanding of heaven, those which seem to strike the deepest chord of response are those which focus not on our mansion, not on our rewards, not on the beautiful city “four-square,” not even on seeing our loved ones who have gone before - but the joy and wonder of seeing Jesus face to face.

Although physically blind, hymn writer Fanny J. Crosby had a sharp, keen spiritual sight which lifted her beyond the grasp of this world to heaven’s view. Her desire? To see “My Savior First of All”:

“When my life work is ended, and I cross the swelling tide,
When the bright and glorious morning I shall see;
I shall know my Redeemer when I reach the other side,
 And His smile will be the first to welcome me.

I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
As redeemed by His side I shall stand;
I shall know Him, I shall know Him,
By the print of the nails in His hand.”

Heaven will certainly be filled with God’s very best, but what is it that draws you with the greatest interest? Do you want to see your Savior first of all? Most of all?

“No man must go to heaven who hath not sent his heart thither before.”