Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Pathway to Spiritual Growth, Part 2

“Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” 
2 Corinthians 12:7-10


One of the indicators of spiritual maturity is a proper response when tested, when tried, when tempted, or when suffering. The above Scripture passage from the pen of the Apostle Paul is a far cry from “the gospel of a good self-image.” Some would see Paul’s real problem as being that he did not think highly enough of himself - did not love himself enough - and that his life would be rectified if he would just have a better view of himself.

But there are tremendous spiritual insights which flowed from Paul’s pen due to what he learned at the hand of his “teachers” - infirmity, reproach, need, persecution, distress, weakness. These same “teachers” hold nothing but horror for the natural man. But the man or woman who is walking according to the Word, according to the Spirit of God accepts the lessons from these “teachers,” knowing that the blessing of the truth learned outweighs the temporary effects of the method.

Friend, you alone can make the choice of how you will respond to these instructors. Resistance leads to a lack of faith, an existence based on fear, and a rebellious spirit; while a willing pupil gains great insight, faith, confidence, and a closeness to the Father. Don’t stumble over the lessons of trials or suffering.

Christianity in four words: admit, submit, commit, and transmit.