Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Part VI: Six Principles to Live By

Proverbs 3:9-10 Honor the Lord from your wealth, And from the first of all your produce; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine.

VI. Never believe what you feel if it contradicts God's Word

If there is anything I have learned in life, it is that you cannot always trust the way you feel.
Feelings can be deceptive, they can lead you astray, especially when it comes to Scripture. Our flesh doesn't always feel like being obedient to what the Lord is telling us to do - have you noticed that? When it comes to sharing our faith, we say, "I don't feel like that is my calling. " When it comes to tithing, we say, "I don't feel like I can afford it," when it comes to making a decision and the Bible is clear on the subject, and someone says, "But I feel..." Listen, God's Word is true, whether you feel it or not! If we obey God's Word only when we feel like it, How often do you think people would obey? If I waited to share my faith, or give, or serve, or attend church, until I feel like it - I would be a mess.

God doesn't bless your feelings, He blesses your obedience. I have found that when I choose to trust God's Word and obey Him, then He gives me understanding and my feelings get on board.

Ask yourself, "Can what I feel be true, if God's Word is true?"
And if both cannot be true, believe God - and make your own heart the liar.
Romans 3:4; III John 1:10-11