Monday, January 28, 2008

The Servant's Heart II

“...whom I serve in my spirit...” Romans 1:9

What Paul is saying is that what motivates me to preach, pursue, proclaim, and promote is my inner man - my spirit - not external forms. I’m not here to please men, I’m here to please God.It matters not what they say, what they think, peer pressure, or obligation, it’s in my heart to do this.

Paul is saying, “Folks, this isn’t a job, this is my life, my ministry. To know me, you must know what motivates me." Paul never served the Lord, that he didn’t do it with his whole being. We have all seen people who go through the motions, and those who have their hearts in it. And this is what we see...a person who serves God in his spirit is different from a hireling, a Pharisee, or a hypocrite.

“The great leaders of men, in all fields, have not been the arrogant and the greedy, but the servants. The real servants are the true nobility, the greatest of all the Son of God Himself, declared that He had come not to be served, but to be a servant, and to give his life as ransom for many.” - John E. Mitchell