Monday, February 16, 2009

Your Light in Darkness

“But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me.” Micah 7:7-8

His Letters have been called by such gifted preachers as Charles Spurgeon and Richard Baxter as the closest thing to inspiration - after the Bible - in Christian literature. Yet the bold Scottish minister of the1600's, Samuel Rutherford, was engulfed by several sieges of darkness.

He was exiled for eighteen months by the ruling church of his day and forbidden to preach. He lost his wife and two children. His book, Lex Rex, a biting denunciation against “the divine right of kings theory,” brought charges of treason from Parliament as he lay on his deathbed.

Rutherford obviously grasped and held to the same spiritual principles that sustain the believer in seasons of darkness. Dying, he told the emissaries from Parliament that he had a prior summons “before a Superior Judge and Judicatory.”

We are to keep our testimony for the Gospel as a primary motivation. The apostle Paul’s arch concern during his first imprisonment was “the greater progress of the gospel.” Philippians 1:12

Glorifying Christ should be your heart’s bent. Choosing to honor Christ shifts your focus from the problem to the Problem Solver.

Set your heart to glorify Him, and light will arise in your darkness.